Last week I talked about shopping with a list, and if you’re still with me and not hating me for taking all the fun out of shopping (thank you!), here’s the next little trick that I said would keep that fun, spontaneous, indulgent part of shopping alive.
It starts with this Whowhatwear.com article about the 80/20 rule. I love this rule as it is the PERFECT complement to shopping with a list.
If you didn’t feel like clicking on the hyperlink to the WWW article, the 80/20 rule is a technique where 80% of your shopping budget goes to planned, thoughtful, and foundation pieces (ie; whatever is ON your LIST as an investment piece!), while the remaining 20% can be reserved for whims, or trends you want to try. So you can still make those off-beat purchases that you’re not 100% sure about, but you’re doing it in moderation and with a little more thought.
I’ve been trying it, and here’s why I love it:
It’s a great way to keep you on track as you allocate your fashion funds. I’ve started employing it since discovering the article, and I love how it gives a little wiggle room for a spontaneous purchase here and there – it makes me think hard about what’s on my list, and encourages deliberate, thoughtful purchases vs. wasteful ones. I reserve my 20% for vintage shows and fun thrift store finds – that’s my free for all card. I also like how it’s a mindset that can be employed by anyone at any budget level. It’s a fantastic trick to employ if you are constantly surprised by a higher than normal credit card bill; and who doesn’t want to save a little money and get a handle on their wardrobe?
So tell me, is something you would try?